What does Design Build Associates do?
Design Build Associates is a full service construction management and consulting firm with offices in Westlake Village and Irvine, CA. Our primary services include:
- Construction Management
- Roofing & Waterproofing Consulting
- Scope of Work Development
- Cost Estimating
- Expert Witness & Litigation Support
- Assistance with Project Funding
Why do I need your services?
When deciding whether or not you need professional construction management services, you should consider who would handle these associated tasks:
- Preparation of design, engineering and budget requirements
- Analysis of the feasibility of materials, methods and other construction-related cost factors
- Coordinate of contract documents, drawings, specifications and schedules
- Prequalification and coordination of general and specialty contractors
- Conduct pre-bid conferences for the bidding contractors, answer their requests for clarification
- Preparation of bid documents, which maintains consistency in the bid process
- Analysis of bids for correctness and adherence to the specifications
- Review of the construction contract and schedule
- Coordination of the contractors’ activities to meet the association’s needs
- Review of the work in progress to verify compliance with the contract specifications, schedules and invoice requests
- Review of any change orders for accuracy and reasonableness and verify the validity, the cost and the effect on the schedule
- Maintaining complete cost accounting records for all contractors and vendors
- Review of lien releases, ensure that the proper forms are used and are completed correctly
- Providing interpretations and resolutions to issues that arise
- Verifying that contractors and vendors carry the correct insurance to work in common interest developments
- Review and approval of product samples, shop drawings, or other submittals
- Conducting final inspection of the project and develop a “punch-list” for completion of incomplete work
- Securing all guarantees, affidavits, releases and manuals for the association’s permanent record
If you are not confident in the ability of your team to complete all of the above tasks in a timely and competent manner, you may want to consider our construction management services.
I think I can't afford you, do I have to?
There are a number of factors to consider when deciding whether you could benefit from comprehensive, competent construction management services for your building project. A consultation is free and won’t cost you anything but a little time. The information you gain can then help you decide whether professional construction management services would be useful. Many of our clients will tell you that we have saved them more than our fees as we offered them value engineering cost-saving alternatives and guided them through the decision making process.
Why does our HOA need your construction management services?
Homeowner association boards generously donate their time for the good of the association, however they are generally not construction experts. When considering whether to hire a construction management consultant one of the many factors to consider is whether anyone on the board has the time to devote to all the tasks that are required (see “Why Do I Need Your Services” above) as well as a broad knowledge of construction. Another factor to take into consideration is that we are insured to take on these responsibilities, a potential liability for which most associations are not prepared.
With our experience and expertise we can ensure that your project progresses in a timely and cost-efficient manner, with minimal difficulty and disruption to the homeowners. We provide the leadership to accomplish a quality project while giving the peace of mind that you have a knowledgeable advocate on your side for all construction-related issues.
In addition, through our relationships with commercial and private lenders we can assist in obtaining financing for your project, if desired. We can also conduct Town Hall style meetings to facilitate homeowner understanding of the project costs and benefits such that the necessary assessment can be obtained if required.
For more extensive information about how Design Build Associates can provide services for your homeowners association construction project, click the link below.
Should I hire my contractor to be my construction manager too?
The short answer is “No”.
By hiring your contractor as your construction manager too, you no longer have an independent, knowledgeable advocate working on your behalf to verify the contractor’s work, billings and lien releases. All of the checks and balances are eliminated by using the contractor as the construction manager. In this situation you must now trust that the contractor will put your interests ahead of his own as he completes your project. Engaging a construction management firm to oversee the work of the general contractor ensures that you have an independent advocate on your side for all construction, budget and scheduling issues. This oversight becomes ineffective when the contractor supervises themselves. A quality construction manager will ensure adherence to the plans, specifications and budget so as to complete the project in accordance with the HOA’s cost, time and quality objectives.